If Faye [Dunaway] made a mistake in her career, it is that she gave a shit what people said or thought of her, but that is easy for me to say: I’m a man, and, sue me for this, but I think it is easier for a man to flip someone off and to tell them to get off than it is for a woman. No matter how fierce Faye has been in seeking the truth of her work, and virtually destroying herself to convey this truth, she is also terribly sensitive to how she is perceived and how she may have treated those around her.
This is admirable and it endears her to me, but it is fatal to the trajectory of one’s work.
I am not implying that an artist is allowed to be rude or required to be, but I do think they should have a way cleared before them as they do their work, and I also think they do not owe us an explanation of how they do their work or live their lives.
Faye always felt she had to explain her rigorous standards, and this is all I will quibble with insofar as she is concerned.
Nothing on this blog has anything to do with the views, practices, needs, or pet peeves of any employer, association, profession, product, school of thought, clan, family member, or BFF.
The G Bitch Spot by G Bitch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Mad. Black. Woman. (TM)
I've been pissed a long time. I'm fairly good at it.
Help a Bitch out!
Get G Bitch in Your Inbox
Comment Policy as of August 2011
1. This is MY blog. It is not public space but personal space. I am not obligated to publish or keep any comment I deem misinformed, misplaced, missing the point or just plain, in my not-so-fucking-humble opinion, asinine.
2. All comments will be interpreted as written, i.e. pay attention to what words you put where and when. Don't tell me you meant x when you typed that you fuck goats.
Categories (New to the Spot? Check “Best Of” first)
- From “Autocracy: Rules for Survival” November 12, 2016
- Election 2016 Anthology: Call for Submissions November 10, 2016
- How to Report Harassment, Violations on Election Day and Get Your Vote on: NOLA Edition October 28, 2016
- Louisiana Flooding: How to Help August 15, 2016
August 2017 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Rage is to writers what water is to fish. ~ Nikki Giovanni
2011 Ashley Award
A Note on Archives
A few problems with databases and corrupted files and near total loss of files means some links are broken and many images are just plain gone. It will take time to reconstruct post by post.
Links to nola.com older than a month or so are dead/broken links. Google search the listed title of the article and it should pop up. You can avoid nola.com's paid archives if you have access to a database through a university or public library.
Send the post title, date, and the link [copy the highlighted/underlined text] to gbspotmail**gmail***com.
Bitches are aggressive, assertive, domineering, overbearing, strong-minded, spiteful, hostile, direct, blunt, candid, obnoxious, thick-skinned, hard-headed, vicious, dogmatic, competent, competitive, pushy, loud-mouthed, independent, stubborn, demanding, manipulative, egoistic, driven, achieving, overwhelming, threatening, scary, ambitious, tough, brassy, masculine, boisterous and turbulent. A Bitch takes shit from no one. You may not like her, but you cannot ignore her.
ATTRIBUTION: Joreen, U.S. feminist and author. From “The Bitch Manifesto,” originally published in Ms. magazine in 1969. As quoted in The Decade of Women, by Suzanne Levine and Harriet Lyons (1980).